Thursday, September 9, 2010

Top Tips on Weight Loss From TAME YOUR INNER OCTOPUS! Taking off the dreaded "CREEPERS!"


Most of us experience putting on a couple of extra pounds after "special occasions" in our lives.  I call them the dreaded "creepers" because they're the 3-5 pounds that seem to creep on without us realizing when or how it happened! 

Maintaining control over the foods we eat each day is not always easy but it's the "key" in keeping weight off.  Some people do it effortlessly.  That amazes me!  It must be awesome to be able to instinctively know when to quit eating.  I had to set up a "go to" healthy pattern of eating in order to lose weight and maintain my weight.  I couldn't simply wing it and hope for the best.

I am in awe of thin people who aren't even tempted to overeat or eat things that they know will add pounds!  It makes me wonder if their taste buds are working properly or if they simply possess some type of "supernatural" control.  I have to admit, I'm not one of them!  I have to stay away from foods like that and not bring them into my home on a daily basis.  I have to make sure there aren't too many "special occasions" of off track eating in a row so that I can rid myself of any unwanted pounds before there's another holiday or "special occasion" in my life.

I know these things now because I failed at doing them for close to two decades.  That's why I am always questioning and "tweaking" my eating patterns.  I have to admit it's been a learning process since I've lost the weight two years ago and I find I'm still experimenting here or there.  That's a good thing because there is no "one" perfect way to maintain your weight.  You have to find your own way of doing it and do what works for you!  Like I've read recently: It's OK to always be working on losing the last 3 pounds because it keeps you from gaining more!

I've made efforts to watch when a few pounds show up on my body.  Here's my latest observation.  Most of the time, it's not one single thing that we do but a culmination of "special occasions" that set up a pattern where we continue to eat off track here or there.  I'm not talking about binge eating; I'm talking about simply adding a couple of a 100 or more calories here or there on a daily basis.  It all adds up and it's easy to do, even when you're eating low fat and sugar free items.  It takes approximately 3,500 extra calories in order to put on a pound, so it has to be a culmination of all the things we do both big and small to put on extra pounds over a period of time. 

That's what happened to me this summer.  It's no big deal.  I still fit in all my clothes but they're now a little snug.  I don't like snug.  Snug can turn real fast into not being able to button your pants.  You all know what I'm talking about.

I know how these "creepers" came back on and it's a good thing to know because it's a lot better than being in a state of denial!  Here's the list of how they came back on:
  • We went on vacation (I ate many things I don't normally eat)
  • Right when we came back I made a big "feast" for family members visiting from Louisiana
  • I did it again the next day because I was on a roll and had an excuse to eat "off track" again
  • We had a family birthday and I made another "feast" with pumpkin cake and Blue Bell ice cream
  • On an everyday basis I started to slip here or there with my light snacks; I ate more than usual
All of the above caused me to gain 5 additional pounds that I don't normally carry.  I've noticed I haven't been able to shake off those pounds as fast as I normally do for the following reasons:
  • On an everyday basis I started to slip here or there with my light snacks; I ate more than usual
That's the one reason I haven't been able to shake off those few extras pounds.  I haven't changed a thing about my daily exercise, so that hasn't been the issue.  This proves that exercise alone does not equal weight loss if you're eating more than you normal eat to maintain your weight.  I quickly realized I am not about to workout consistently and work against the grain of maintaining my weight by eating too much.  That's totally frustrating! That's why I am always experimenting.  I have to if I wish to maintain my desired weight.  I'm happy that I take the time to STOP to figure out where I've messed up and why I can't shake off undesired weight.  Here's my plan and it's already working.
  • Since I couldn't shake off the weight, I had to get serious and cut back like I did when I lost all of the weight and drop my daily caloric intake to @ 1,200 calories (no lower for a woman).  A younger woman may choose to stay in the 1,400-1,600 range for weight loss.
  • I upped my exercise routine by changing things up and increasing my cardio here or there. 
  • I added swimming back into my routine.  I now realize it was a big factor last year in keeping weight off when it became so hot outside that I couldn't walk in the morning as usual.  I could only walk at night but even then, there's always an occasional rained out evening.
I've already lost 2 lbs. but more than that, I feel like I am in control, sort of like one of those "skinny" people who seem to possess "supernatural" powers.  I'm far from feeling hungry so that means the great foods that I've chosen, my basics, allow me to feel satisfied.

I guess I'll always be experimenting and that's a good thing because it means I have finally realized that I am the only person who is in control of my eating patterns when it pertains to maintaining my desired weight.

Do you have your own method of losing a few extra pounds?

Best Wishes!

No comments: