Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Top Tips on Weight Loss From TAME YOUR INNER OCTOPUS! Do We Over-Glorify Food in America?

Before I lost the extra pounds I had accumulated over the course of a near two decades, I found myself continually glorifying many of the foods I chose to prepare and eat.  Take Key Lime Pie, it's one of my favorites as everyone who reads my posts knows by now. It would be easy for me and I've done it, to over-glorify this dessert.  Here, let me give you an example of what I'm talking about with this picture of a slice of Key Lime Pie:

The crust is a rich golden brown shell made with crushed graham cracker crumbs and rich creamy butter.  The filling melts in your mouth, it is to die for as it contains two cans of luscious condensed milk, not one, and 1/2 cup of authentic Key Lime Juice from Key West.  The topping is real whipped cream that can be made into lovely miniature rosettes to adorn the edge of this creation.

That is an example of how people tend to over-glorify food.  Of course, I still enjoy things like Key Lime Pie, pecan pralines and peanut butter fudge but thank goodness, I am no longer "foaming at the mouth" in anticipation of preparing or eating these special delights.  Simply put, I had to stop OVER-GLORIFYING food and think more about getting the best fuel into my body in the proper amounts on a daily basis.

It doesn't even have to be a dessert, it could be lasagna from a special restaurant.  Just last night one of my daughters was asking me if I had eaten lasagna from a great local restaurant.  We both went on describing how it melted in your mouth.  I mentioned that the pasta had to be made from scratch because you can't get pasta like that from a box.  I will spare you the full description!  In the back of mind, I was thinking the entire time, that I was once again, over-glorifying food!  At least I am now aware of the problem.

It's OK to enjoy special desserts and special meals for special occasions in life.  We all know it's important to enjoy these times in life.  It's not a good thing, at least it wasn't for me, to eat these type foods on a daily basis and expect to maintain a proper healthy weight.

That's when we get into trouble.  We get into trouble when we over-glorify everything we eat and when we choose to eat this way on a daily or weekly basis.  If we do this, most of us cannot expect to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  I sure couldn't!

I had to form a new relationship with food.  I realized that right from the start.  I was way too involved in an emotional way with the preparation and enjoyment of food, especially foods that I should not have been eating on a daily or even weekly basis. I had to learn real quick to think of food as great fuel for my body.  In my mind I have only a certain amount of fuel my body requires each day in order to operate well and maintain my weight.  I had to LEARN to respect food and choose wisely.

I find it funny now because I am easily able to notice people who over-glorify food.  Last week I noticed someone famous on TV over-glorifying a high fat dish that was being prepared on the show.  This person is my age and has struggled with weight for decades.  I wanted to tell her all that I had learned.  I wanted to say, "Yes, it's a great dish but it's only food and we can't over-glorify these type foods.  We have to save them only for special occasions in our life! Don't over-glorify these type foods or you will continue to struggle to lose and maintain your weight!  I was just like you until I formed a new relationship with food."

No, I didn't talk to the TV set but I wanted to!  I realize all I can do is put it in a book and write it on my blog, so that I can continue to reach out to others to discuss the importance of enjoying these type foods on special occasions in our lives and eating in a healthful pattern 95% of the time.  I'm far from perfect but that's what I try to do on a daily basis. 

Have a great day!

No comments: