Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Top Tips on Weight Loss From TAME YOUR INNER OCTOPUS! The Importance of Tweaking Your Workouts!

Let's face it, if you're like me, every now and then you become bored with your workouts.  Sometimes we don't even realize we're bored until we "tweak" our routines.  I workout consistently (thank goodness because I like to eat).  Even though I workout almost every single day (that's a good thing), I knew I was bored with my same routines.  In fact, I was becoming increasingly bored with my exercise routines.  I needed to do something fast before I began to dread working out out in general.

I kept remembering how much I enjoyed swimming laps last summer.  I reminded my husband how much we enjoyed it and I continued to mention that we needed to get back out there and test the waters (pun intended) again.  He happens to have a foot problem that has been interfering with his tennis and walking routines, and I knew this would be a good thing for him also.  We both enjoyed lap swimming years ago, when our children were younger and swam competitively.  We knew it would be a good thing to do.

Wow, I have to admit, it was an awesome idea!  There's nothing like getting into a 25 yard Olympic sized pool, where others are swimming laps right next to you.  Everyone is encouraging and it's plain fun to be out there with the sun shining brightly and you're so close to nature.  I love the way swimming allows you to work out every part of your body and relaxes you at the same time.  I'm glad we decided to get back in the water.  It's so beautiful being outside.  Sometimes, during cool down, I'll turn on my back and look up at the gorgeous blue sky and I'll see the tips of the Palm trees swaying in the breeze.  I forgot how relaxing swimming can be.  It's also a wonderful place to meditate.  It's just you, the pool and your thoughts.

There's little doubt that it can be difficult to get a walk/jog in with the summer heat.  I've done it but I have to admit it's been difficult at times this summer.  I imagine it's like that for everyone during the summer in most areas.  I'm glad I still managed to do it but in the future, I don't think I'll forget to add a swimming routine during the summer.

I've learned a huge lesson.  I've learned the importance of "tweaking" my exercise routines and not allowing myself to get in a rut!  I think it would be a great thing to switch things up each season or at the very least take a long look at your workout routines.  Maybe take some routines out and add new things in and bring them back later during another season.  That way you'll never allow yourself to get bored because you'll soon be changing things up! 

I need to work on that and while I'm doing that, I'm long over due in deleting all of my songs off my I-Pod.  Maybe that's what's been boring the heck out of me.  If I hear "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson one more time, I may begin to weep.  I don't care if I only add in 10 new songs, I can't bear to listen to the same songs that I've been listening to for the past two years!  Isn't it amazing how easy it is to stay in the same old rut?  Sometimes you don't even realize you're in one.  I guess we all have to remember to "tweak" different areas of our lives. 

Have a great day!

No comments: