Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Realizing the importance of savoring your food


In the past I can remember so many instances where I seemed to haphazardly shove food in my mouth while on the go. Yes, I was just like the grabby octopus! Thank goodness I've broken that bad habit and I don't miss my random eating patterns a bit.
I now take the time to savor my foods at breakfast, lunch and dinner, along with my snacks. I know I am eating the appropriate portions because I have learned the importance of measuring from the start when I first set up my healthy eating plan.

In the past, when I was overweight, I don't think I appreciated food like I do at this point in my life. I think I used food for various reasons associated with whatever particular mood I was in throughout the day. That's not a good thing! It didn't matter much whether I was in a happy, sad or anxious mood, food was always within reach to comfort me or help me celebrate whatever was happening in my life. This is not unusual but it is never a good thing to eat based on our emotions at any given time.
I'm glad I noticed that connection and I'm happy that I've learned to overcome it. I love great food. I love healthy food. I am happy that I am able to eat on track, in a healthy manner 95% of time. It's been a year or more since I've lost the weight and it has truly been an incredible year for me. What a burden to have lifted, after carrying around the extra weight for close to two decades.
Breaking unhealthy habits is never easy but putting forth the effort creates tremendous rewards when the goal weight is achieved.
So let us always remember to take the time to savor our foods!

No comments: