Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Do You Eat Based On Your Emotions?


Have you ever stopped to realize that many of us eat based on our emotions? Just take a glance at the following to see if you have ever eaten based on any of the following descriptions:
1) I eat in order to celebrate a particular occasion.
2) I eat when I'm sad or depressed because it makes me feel better temporarily.
3) I eat when I'm happy in order to reward myself.
4) I eat when I'm tense, worried, stressed or nervous about something.
5) I eat when I'm trying to subconsiously fill a void.
6) I eat because I can, it's there and I love food.
7) I eat because I don't have a healthy eating pattern set up on a daily basis.
8) I eat because it's fun and it provides me with a certain amount of happiness at that particular moment.
9) I eat because I have unhealthy habits that I have formed over the course of my lifetime
10) I eat because it provides me with something to do all throughout the day and I look forward to it any chance I get. If I'm not eating, I'm thinking about my next opportunity to eat.
11) I eat foods in the right amounts because I love healthy foods and I need great fuel for my body.
All of the above reasons are the reasons many people eat and overeat, except for the last one. That's the correct outlook we need to have in order to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight over the course of a lifetime.
There's not a thing wrong with loving great foods. We need food as fuel for our bodies each and every day.
We need to appreciate healthy foods by setting up a healthy eating pattern throughout the day.
We need to learn the amount of calories our body needs to lose weight in order to create a deficit and how many calories our body needs to later maintain our ideal weight.
It's important to not eat based on any particular emotion at any given point.
The goal should be to aim for three healthy, balanced meals a day, with healthy snacks if necessary in between meals while staying within our daily caloric requirements.
Have a great day everyone!

No comments: