Thursday, August 20, 2009

Do You Know Your Daily Caloric Intake?


If you don't; it's not unusual and you are in the majority. Actually, there's little doubt most people don't want to know. When I was overweight and like our grabby octopus, I sure didn't want to be held accountable. I guess it's just one of those cases, where what you don't know might hurt you. I knew that and that's why I didn't want to know.


I now know what my count should be in order to maintain my weight of 120. In fact, a recent article from yet another expert confirmed my conclusion. He stated the average adult woman should have an intake of around 1,600 calories a day. That was the approximate figure I had already figured out on my own. It's good to know. It's something I feel I have to know in order to maintain my weight for the rest of my life. Ignorance is not bliss in my opinion. It is what keeps us from being held accountable and it was what once kept me in the overweight situation I was in for a near two decade span.


Actually, this was the second article I read in the last two days that stated that figure. Another article was referencing the fact that people who maintained their weight, stayed in the area of 1,600-2,000. That makes a lot of sense and is a further confirmation. Of course there are variables to always consider.


This is all great information but it doesn't help much if people don't take the time to look up and figure out what they are eating on any given day. Once you learn these things, over a short time period, you won't need to look up the calorie counts of what you're eating. You'll automatically be able to approximate. We must be accountable for everything we "choose" to eat. If not, we're eating out of control, like the grabby octopus, or we may easily be eating many more calories each day then needed. That is what makes us fat.


I guess I feel most of us have enough aggravations in our lives at times. The last thing we need is an extra burden of being overweight or obese. This is an area of our lives that is within our control. It is something we can tackle as we educate ourselves in the area of what we are eating versus what our bodies truly need in order to maintain our ideal healthy weight.


It sure beats waking up everyday, like the movie "Groundhog Day" and repeating the same old actions and asking yourself "Why can't I lose this weight?"


In most cases you can't, until you figure out how many calories you are eating each day and how many calories you need to lose weight or maintain.
Trust me, it is as simple as that...

No comments: