Monday, June 21, 2010

I Had Another Run-In With Key Lime Pie!

OK, I guess it's obvious, I happen to like Key Lime Pie!  This is the second post I've written on the subject.  I ate "off track" slightly Saturday.  It was a "special occasion" because a relative came into town and we took her out to eat.

It was lunch and I knew we would be eating "off track" Sunday due to it being Father's Day, so I didn't go overboard and I ordered a cup of soup and a half sandwich.  Trust me, there was nothing low cal about my meal but it was better than a burger with fries.  My husband ordered that; it's one of his safe favorites.

At the end of the meal, I asked, OK, I pleaded with everyone to have a dessert that we could all share at the table.  No one bit, so I did the next best thing and ordered it "to go" for myself.  Yes, it was the slice of Key Lime Pie again.  I took it home and I asked my husband to share it with me.  It always makes me feel better to split something when I know it's not in my best interest to eat it alone.  It's sort of like having a partner in crime and my husband is always up for a challenge of this type.

I discovered that this particular version of Key Lime Pie tasted more like a light cheesecake.  In fact I had to take a couple of bites before I found the little key lime distinctive taste.

My husband agreed.  I pondered a bit and realized that I need to be very selective about what "off track" type "high caloric" item I'm going to purchase.

I've decided, from now on, it's going to have to be worth it or it's simply not worth eating.  Who needs to eat an extra, not particularly healthy item for 400 calories or more and have it not be worth it?  Not I, said the pig...

I didn't finish off this slice of pie.  I passed it on to my husband.

I did learn a valuable lesson.  Make "Key Lime Pie" yourself or go to where you know you can get a great piece of Key Lime Pie that's worth eating "off track" for in life.  I have an awesome recipe by the way but it takes FOREVER to squeeze 20 of those little key lime suckers!

I also have an upcoming trip to "Key West" planned.  If my memory serves me correctly I think Key West is known as the home of the "Key Lime Pie".  I saw a special on TV about it. They even have a contest for the best Key Lime Pie where people compete from all over the place.

I'm going to the same restaurant I went to last year where I know they serve an awesome piece of Key Lime Pie.

As far as today.  I'm going to exercise and get right back to my 95% way of eating healthy on a daily basis.

But somewhere, in the deep recesses of my mind, I'll be dreaming of my next "off track", special occasion (vacation) type eating, where I will once again partake in the eating of a slice of Key Lime Pie!

Have a great day!

No comments: