Monday, February 22, 2010

Here's What 1,400 Calories A Day Looks Like!




As a woman, my goal in weight loss mode is to modify what the food pyramid says I normally need to eat on a daily basis so that I can lose unwanted pounds. I do this by simply creating a deficit from what I should eat to what I need to eat in order to create a deficit of around 400 calories each day.

I will first list an example of how I modify my calories in weight loss mode at approximately 1,400 calories. My goal has always been to set up the best balanced healthy eating pattern while in weight loss mode. Once I reach my "ideal" or "preferred" goal weight, I simply add in around 400 healthy calories from the same food basic food groups in the food pyramid in order to maintain my weight. This comes out to around 1,800 calories a day.

Here's An Example of 1,400 calories a day in Weight Loss mode:

Breakfast (Around 8:30 or 9:00 a.m.)

1/2 of a Whole Wheat English Muffin 62

1 teaspoon of peanut butter (Smucker's All Natural) 33

1/2 of a sliced banana 55

1 teaspoon of honey 20

6 oz. of Plain Non Fat Yogurt (I mix in Splenda) 80

25 blueberries (mixed in the yogurt) 20

4 teaspoons of lite or fat free Coffee Mate creamer 40

Breakfast Total: 310

Mid morning snack (around 10:30)
1 cup or @ 37 seedless red grapes 110

Lunch (around 12:30)
1 slice of whole wheat toast 110
2 oz. of Boar's Head sliced turkey breast 70
1 teaspoon of Kraft Olive Oil Mayonnaise 15
1 cup of steamed Broccoli 52
1 tablespoon of Ken's Lite (on top of steamed broc) 40
1 cup of split pea soup without ham 150

Lunch Total: 437

Afternoon Snack (around 4:00 p.m.)
1 Yoplait Yogurt Lite Strawberry 100
2 teaspoons of lite coffee creamer for afternoon coffee 20

Dinner (around 6:00 p.m.)
3 oz. skinless chicken breast 83
1 Tablespoon of ketchup 20
1 medium sweet potato 103
1 teaspoon of lite butter 17
1 teaspoon of brown sugar 19
1 cup of green beans with onions and 1 teaspoon 60
lite butter

Dinner Total: 302

Dessert or snack
Edy's Frozen Strawberry All Fruit Bar 80
1/2 banana 55

Daily Total: 1,410


Please note, I use Crystal Lite or assorted green teas at different times throughout the day most days. I also try to get the recommended amount of water in each day.

In my next post, I will discuss what mypyramid.gov lists as a recommended daily intake for women according to age when not in weight loss mode.

Have a great day!

No comments: