Monday, November 23, 2009

Are You Ready for the Holiday Festivities!


Are you ready for the holidays to begin?  Whether we're ready or not, they're about to begin starting off this week with Thanksgiving.  As I mentioned in my last post, I love Thanksgiving! 

There's no doubt that all of us already know we will soon be bombarded by foods during the holiday season that we do not normally eat on a daily or weekly basis.  It's the holiday season for goodness sake; we're supposed to enjoy them but remember, we can also choose to enjoy them within reason.

Just because it is a holiday does not mean we have to stuff ourselves like we would stuff our own turkey!  We can pick and choose what we truly wish to eat and stay away from the things that we really don't love.

It doesn't have to be an all or nothing type day.  Moderation, even on a holiday is extremely important.  There's a way to eat many healthy items that are often a part of the holiday season.  We know turkey is a healthy choice but so are green beans and other side dishes.  We can remember to taste smaller portions of the high fat dishes that we enjoy.  It's also important to eat slowly and enjoy the conversation surrounding the dinner table. 

It took me a long time to learn that celebrations such as Thanksgiving Day need not be so greatly focused on the food and eating.  It's so wonderful when we can begin to focus on how great it is to be together and share such a beautiful meaningful day with family and friends.

Of course I am also looking forward to eating special things that I don't eat on a normal basis.  These are the times I look forward to these special dishes.  Right now I am making sure that I am sticking to my normal pattern of eating even more closely.  I am doing this because I know ahead of time this will help me minimize the effects of my "off track" eating for Thanksgiving Day.

My plan is to enjoy myself that day and eat a regular breakfast beforehand.  I now know the importance of not being famished at any point in my daily pattern of eating.  This also works fantastic for "off track" eating events and special holiday occasions in our lives.  I will make sure to eat a healthy midmorning snack so that I am not overly hungry before the Thanksgiving meal.  These little things make a big difference in the long run.  My goal will be to pick and choose what I really want to eat.  I am taking two dishes to the get-together, so I won't have a lot of leftovers to deal with afterwards.  That's a big plus!

Since I have lost and maintained my weight for close to two years now, I realize the importance of limiting my "off track" eating or special occasion eating to that one day.  This means that I don't start eating "off track" several days before and I don't eat "off track" the day after.

This is where I got into a lot of trouble in the years I was 40 pounds overweight.  I am continually trying to improve here or there in maintenance, so that I can be better prepared or incorporate new ideas along the way.

Once again, have a great Thanksgiving!

Best Wishes!

No comments: